Everything you need to know about Gen Z and Millennial research and marketing, at your fingertips.
After the Cord Cut: The Next Big Streaming Shake Ups
Cord cutting has become a norm, Hulu just won an Emmy, and Netflix is a Millennial obsession. What happens next? The next big streaming shake...
September 21st, 2017
The 3 Social Apps to Know Next
These 3 social apps are ones to watch thanks to trending status on college campuses, wild growth with teens, and Facebook’s plan to beat...
September 20th, 2017
Gen Z’s Top 10 Financial Priorities Show How the Recession Made Its Mark
Gen Z’s biggest financial priorities right now show how they’re the kids of the recession, and how they’re different...
September 19th, 2017
“I love [S]napchat because I am able to talk to all of my friends across the world without having to type anything. Instant video is the best.”—Female, 24, MI
More brands are bringing on influencers to take on design and creative projects, as they move away from “one-off transactions.” Marketing execs are looking to the long-term when choosing to collaborate with influencers, for “a better quality of content” and better brand safety practices (like proper ad disclosure). Joy Cho (aka Oh Joy!) is designing Band-Aids for Johnson & Johnson, while CoverGirl is asking influencers to create shoppable makeup looks. These so-called “true collaborations” are on the rise as The Influencer Effect evolves. (Adweek)
ComScore says “Millennial publisher” Mic’s audience is “shrinking,” but Mic counters that current measurements don’t account for their huge social audience. ComScore measures monthly website visitors in the U.S., and by that metric Mic’s audience is down from a peak of 21.5 million in December 2015 to just 6.6 million this August. But Mic’s president reports that “ComScore accounts for about 10% of Mic’s actual audience.” The other 90%? The brand says they’re engaging on social or watching distributed video, which ComScore doesn’t measure. Mic may have a point, and they’re not alone in arguing that current analytics haven’t kept up with “the changing digital media landscape.” (Business Insider)
Stranger Things’ Eleven (and her beloved Eggos), Lego Batman, and Wonder Woman are among this year’s “hot” Halloween costumes. Spirit Halloween is stocking up on pop-culture-inspired outfits alongside classic looks. Hocus Pocus, Space Jam, and Saved by the Bell are still popular picks for nostalgic trick-or-treaters (or their Millennial parents). Meanwhile, Walmart is adding an array of Maskimals (the "giant [animal-inspired] head gear") and catering to Customization Nation with personalized candy totes, doormats, and more. And Target is hoping its exclusive candy partnerships will make them a part of Gen Z & Millennials' Halloween plans. (MediaPost)
Some college students might not really “get” free speech. A survey of U.S. undergrads at four-year universities found about a fifth reportedly think it’s okay to silence someone who’s making “offensive and hurtful statements” using physical force, and two in five also say the First Amendment does not protect “hate speech.” Quick reminder: it protects all speech, regardless of sentiment. But Ypulse’s PC Police Research did find that 68% of college students think free speech means “people should be able to express themselves, regardless of whether it offends others,” so the issue is a complicated one. (WP)
Forever 21 is branching into beauty, with a new store for Millennial & Gen Z shoppers. The boutique, Riley Rose, is taking on trends like K-beauty and stocking up on “cult brands.” They know their ideal shopper is tech and social savvy, so expect “digitally-focused features” like touch screens and selfie stations. The first store opens soon, and more are planned for later in the year. And, of course, they’ll be decorated in Millennial pink. (Elle, Refinery29)
"My biggest financial priority is to gain money to help someone I personally know out of being homeless."—Female, 22, CA