‘Tis the season to treat yo’self. Millennials are shopping for themselves as they shop for others, and we asked what they’re self-gifting this year…
Millennials’ Treat Yo’Self mentality is impacting their holiday shopping, with more buying themselves gifts than ever before. The NRF found that self-gifting rose by 13% year-over-year to a record high of 31% of overall consumers and 44% of 18-24-year-olds. Their buying behavior could have been spurred on by record deals: retailers slashed prices 47.9% on average this Black Friday compared to 45.2% last year.
Ypulse’s own holiday shopping survey asked young consumers exactly who they planned to buy gifts for this holiday season—and 38% of 18-36-year-olds told us they actually planned to buy gifts for themselves. So before the impulse buys even kicked in, these young consumers were strategizing to take advantage of the shopping season to buy their own goodies. In addition, their estimated spending on things for themselves this holiday season was nearly as high as their estimated spending on things for others. Wondering what they wanted to fill their own personal stockings with? Don’t worry, we also asked those who planned to shop for themselves exactly what they planned to buy. Here are their top responses:
*This was an open-end response question to allow us to capture the full range of items that Millennial consumers planned to buy themselves for the holidays—without our preconceived ideas shaping their responses. As with any qualitative question, the responses include those that are top of mind and those that are most popular. The lists are ordered according to number of responses received, and alphabetically when ties occurred.
What Gifts Are They Buying for Themselves?
- Clothing / Accessories
- Shoes /…